*May be updated as requirements/recommendations change*
A.B. Dance is committed to providing a safe environment for all students, parents and staff as we re-open for dance classes. We will follow guidelines provided by the Ontario government, York Region Public Health and “Ontario Dance and Performing Arts Studios Workplace Guidelines for Covid-19”.
ALL STUDENTS/PARENTS/STAFF/INDIVIDUALS MUST NOT ATTEND THE STUDIO OR CLASSES IF THEY ARE SICK OR ARE EXIBITING COVID-19 SYMPTOMS. If a student/staff or anyone in their household is unwell, the student/staff is not permitted to attend class. Studio must be informed if anyone including students and staff will be absent and if you are exhibiting symptoms or have tested positive.
If the student or anyone in their household have any of the following symptoms of COVID-19:
o Fever (temperature of 37.8°C or greater) o Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing o Altered smell or taste
o Runny nose, or nasal congestion
(unrelated to seasonal allergies, post nasal drip etc.) o Worsening of chronic conditions
o Increased tiredness/fatigue
o New or worsening cough
o Sore throat/Difficulty swallowing
o Nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain o Tiredness/feeling unwell/muscle aches
o Pink eye
o Red/Purple discolouration to hands, fingers, feet
and /or toes, and skin may peel (Covidtoes)
OR if you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 or someone who has developed new respiratory symptoms, do not enter the facility. Contact your health care provider, Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000), or visit an Assessment Centre for testing. Self-isolate for 14 days (including any members of your household or people you had close contact with from 48 hours before symptoms.)
Complete health screening self-assessment BEFORE leaving to come to the studio each day. Parents MUST be diligent in screening your children prior to leaving for the studio.
PARENTS – IF YOUR CHILD BEGINS TO SHOW ANY SYMPTOMS WHILE AT DANCE, WE WILL ISOLATE THEM FROM OTHER STUDENTS & STAFF & NOTIFY YOU TO PICK THEM UP IMMEDIATELY. IF A STAFF MEMBER BECOMES ILL THEY WILL BE ISOLATED AND SENT HOME.
AB Dance Safety- What to Expect
Everyone entering and exiting the studio will be required to wear a mask. Its mandatory for all dancers and teachers to wear masks at all times in the studio and dance rooms.
Limited class sizes & studio capacity:
Each studio has a maximum of 8-12 students plus teacher depending on studio size. At this time parents of dancers 7 & up will not be permitted in the facility and must wait in cars as lobby will be unavailable, due to reduced facility capacity and to accommodate social distancing. No parents or family members (including siblings) will be allowed to enter the studio other than one adult accompanying a student 6 & under.
Drop Off/Pick Up:
An A.B. Dance staff member will supervise. Dancers, staff and parents must wear masks during drop off and pick up. Please follow drop off and pick up signs outside of the studio to ensure smooth transitions.
DROP OFF (Right of the main door):
Students age 6 & under may be accompanied into the building by one adult. A parent/guardian will line-up with their child along a physical distance line outside of the facility, to the right of the main door and wait for screening and temperature check. Parents must practice physical distancing during this time and then return to pick them up when class is finished.
Students aged 7 & up are asked to come into the building independently. Dancers line up along the physical distance line to the right of the main door and wait for screening and temperature check.
- Dancers will be permitted to enter the facility no earlier than 5 minutes before the start of their class. Please wait in cars until a few minutes before class begins.
- Arriving, students will line up outside, to the right of the main door along the sidewalk/windows using the physical distancing markers and signs provided.At the entrance all will sanitize their hands and staff will direct dancers coming in. Outdoor shoes will be brought into the studio with the student and placed in their designated spot. We encourage dancers to bring their own bag to keep their shoes in. Students will wait on a lobby/hallway floor sticker until admitted into class by teacher.PICK UP (Left of the main door):
Students age 6 and under: Parents line up along a physical distance line to the left of the main door and wait for their dancer to exit studio with an A.B. Dance staff member.
Students age 7 and above: Parents drive-up and wait for their child to exit facility and enter the vehicle. A.B. staff will bring the dancer out to the pick-up area which is to the left of the main door, and dancers will wait on distancing markers until the parents vehicle is identified by staff.*It is extremely important that you are punctual picking up students, as dancers are not permitted to wait around inside after class is finished.*Physical Distancing:There will be social distancing markers in the lobby/hall that students will use waiting for class to begin. They must sanitize their hands when entering and exiting the studio. We have created physical distance boxes on the floors in each of our studios, to help guide students. There will also be small taped floor spots for dancers’ belongings. They will placebelongings on assigned spot and proceed to their own dancing square.
Note: Changerooms will be closed at this time.
Increased Cleaning & Sanitization:
We will sanitize all common touchpoints and ballet barres or equipment used between each class or group of students. Washrooms will be cleaned and sanitized frequently. Facility will undergo additional cleaning and disinfecting after each day. Students and parents are encouraged to wipe all items with sanitizer wipes e.g. shoes, water bottle, before & after coming to the studio. No Lost & Found at this time.
Hand Sanitizing: Everyone entering and exiting the facility will be required to use hand sanitizer (it will be provided). All must sanitize hands before and after using washroom and before each class. There are stations set up at the main entrance, at entrances to each studio and inside each studio.
What To Bring/Wear:
All students will come dressed, ready for class. No changing between classes. Changeroom is not available. All footwear should be designated for strictly studio use – not home use. For younger students who may have difficulties with pulling up tights etc. after using the washroom, feel free to wear leggings/dance shorts and fitted tank tops instead of a bodysuit & tights if needed. Shoes should be able to be put on independently by student).
No Physical Contact:
Teachers will not be providing any hands-on corrections, spotting etc. at the current time. Instruction, corrections etc. will be done verbally. This may change depending on future phases of re-opening. Students will not engage in partner work or any deliberate contact (no hand holding, lifts etc).
Special Instructions for the Following Classes:
• Acro classes: Will focus on flexibility, balances, strength and conditioning as spotting, partner work etc. will not be permitted at this time.
• Mini Dance: There will be no mini dance at this time.
Overview of changes to our facilities to support a safe and healthy return to dance
- Sanitizer stations throughout
- Distancing and pathway markers on floors
- Lobby and changeroom areas closed until further notice
- Removal of lobby and hallway chairs/benches
- Clearing surfaces for easy cleaning
- Signage for proper use of hand sanitizer and hand-washing procedures
- Studio doors will remain open
- Soap and paper towel in washrooms. Dancers are encouraged to use the washroom at home before coming todance.
- Kitchen for staff use only – one at a time for washing hands only.* We are excited to have Zoom in place as a health & safety measure so that dancers can continue to learn with their class at home if needed. This means that we will be prepared to run our full class schedule on Zoom in the event of any mandated closures/disruptions. *
* We will implement any other safety protocols required by the government and/or health unit. *
THANKS FOR YOUR COOPERATION AND SUPPORT!